747 Weather Radar|
by jerome meriweather
Up to Fuel/STAB
To View a Control's Description, MouseOver it and ...
Left to Capt's Radio
Right to F/O's Radio
Down to CDU
Click to "Show" - MouseDown to "Drag" - DoubleClick to "Hide"
747 Photo and/or Graphic Element
Two "C-band" color radar systems are installed. Radar returns can be added to either or both navigation displays in all
modes except PLN, VOR CTR and APP CTR modes. Selecting the range for the navigation display on the EFIS control panel also selects
the same range for the radar returns.
System Transfer Switch
Selects either receiver/transmitter L or R for operation.
- SYS L - Radar antenna stabilized by the left and center IRS.
- SYS R - Radar antenna stabilized by the right and center IRS.
GND RTN Switch
- OFF - Suppresses most of the ground return and some of the storm return when held in this position.
- ON - Displays ground return on ND.
Function selector position is displayed on left side of ND
when in any position except NORM.
- TEST - Displays test pattern. Receiver/transmitter does not transmit.
- NORM - Allows selected system to operate when WXR MAP switch is on. Displays weather returns at the preset calibrated gain level.
- MID - Adjust gain midway between the calibrated and maximum level. Allows locating storm cell cores. Most effective on 40 mile range
- MAX - Adjust gain to maximum level. Allows determination of cell intensity in a building or decaying storm or intervening rain.
Controls antenna Tilt angle with reference to horizon. Tilt angle is displayed on left side of ND
. Notch on knob skirt is the index.
Clockwise rotation provides Tilt up, and counterclockwise rotation provides Tilt down.
TURB DET Switch and Lights
- PRECIP ONLY - Causes Weather Radar to display precipitation returns only. PRECIP ONLY light comes on and PRECIP is
displayed on ND. Deactivates doppler function.
- BOTH - Causes weather radar to display both precipitation and doppler
turbulence returns. The magenta turbulence returns are superimposed on the green, yellow and red precipitation returns.
PRECIP ONLY and DOPPLER ONLY light comes on. Ground return is eliminated.
- DOPPLER ONLY - Causes Weather Radar to display magenta turbulence returns only. DOPPLER ONLY light comes on.
Ground return is eliminated.